Round 1 – Easy Starter
- Which Harry Potter word was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2003 meaning ‘a person who possesses no magical powers, lacking particular skills, or who is regarded as inferior in some way’?
- What specific item is made by Mr Ollivander?
- What is the name of Hagrid’s 3 headed pet dog?
- How many plays are there on a Quidditch team?
- What does the “J” stand for in the name of Harry Potter Author J.K. Rowling?
Round 2 – Hogwarts
- Pomona Sprout is the head of which House of Hogwarts in the first six books of the series?
- Who is the House Ghost of Gryffindor?
- Nearly Headless Nick
- What subject is taught by Cuthbert Binns at Hogwarts?
- History of Magic
- Which character kissed Harry after a lesson in ‘Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix’?
- Cho Chang
- What subject at Hogwarts is abbreviated as D.A.D.A?
- Defence against the Dark Arts
Round 3 – General Potter Knowledge
- What is the first name of Dudley Dursleys mother?
- In what vault in Gringotts was the philosophers stone kept?
- Vault 713
- What is the name of the pub in the village of Hogsmeade which is frequented by Harry Potter and other Hogwarts students?
- The ThreeBroomsticks Inn
- Which of the Hogwarts founders created the Chamber of Secrets?
- Salazar Slytherin
- True of False, Sirius Black was the first person to escape from Azkaban?
- FALSE – In the Goblet Fire we are told that Barty Crouch was first to escape
Round 4 – The Films
- In what year was the first Harry Potter film released in the UK?
- Which character speaks the following line in the first Harry Potter Movie – “This boy will be famous. There won’t be a child in our world who doesn’t know his name”?
- In which movie do we first encounter the game of Wizarding Chess?
Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone
- Which British actor and comedian plays the role of Nearly Headless Nick?
- John Cleese
- Which actor got his part in the series by sending a video of himself rapping to the casting producer after seeing a report on Newsround?
- Rupert Grint
Round 5 – Pot Luck
- Who is the head of the House of Ravenclaw?
- Filius Flitwick
- How many balls are used in total in a game of Quidditch?
- 4 (A Quaffle, two Bludgers and a Golden Snitch)
- Parselmouth is the name given for Wizards who can do what?
- Talk to snakes or serpents
- During Bill Weasley and Fleur Delacour’s wedding in “Deathly Hallows”, Harry disguises himself as Ron’s cousin using Polyjuice Potion. What is the name that Harry uses for his disguise?
- Barny Weasley
- At the end of the Goblet of Fire Peter Pettigrew murders which student?
- Cedric Diggory
Round 6 – Multiple Choice
- Which of these is the name of the largest unit of Wizarding Currency – Galleon, Tugboat, Stirk or Portside?
- What is a Horcrux – is it a Broom for playing Quidditch, the name of the invisibility cape, a painting or an item containing a part of a Wizards Soul?
- Item containing part of a Wizards Soul
- What subject is taught by Aurora Sinistra at Hogwarts – Physics, Divination, Astronomy or History of Magic?
- In the abbreviation O.W.L using in Harry Potter, the W and L stand for Wizarding Level…but what does the O stand for – Outstanding, Ordinary, Original or Onset?
- In what Month does Harry celebrate his Birthday – May, July, August or November?
Round 7 – Tough Potter Knowledge
- Which character does Draco Malfoy eventually marry?
- Astoria Greengrass
- What does the potion Veritaserum oblige people to do?
- Tell the Truth
- What are Avada Kedavra, Crucio and Imperio collectively known as?
- The Three Unforigveable Curses
- In Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban which aunt does Harry accidently blow up like a balloon?
- Aunt Marge
- What is the name of the potion that grants good luck, mentioned in ‘Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince’?
- Felix Felicius
Round 8 – 1 Question 5 Answers
For one point each, other than Ron and Ginny, can you name Arthur and Molly Weasley’s other five children?